Sunday, October 25, 2009

The World of ACCESS

The World of ACCESS
The Alabama Connecting Classroom, Educators and Students Statewide is a program the state of Alabama created in order to created virtual classrooms for students. The goal is to provide equal access to education for all high school students in the state. In some smaller communities there might not be a need or demand for extremely rigorous coursed, but qualified students shouldn't have to succumb to a meager education just because the majority of the other students cannot handle it. Now they are able to take AP courses and other advanced learning courses online through ACCESS.

I really wish I would have had access to a program like this while I was in high school. Although I am from Alabama, I attended a private school so the ACCESS Program was not an option for me. I completely understand its benefits. No student should have to suffice to an non challenging education just because a tougher curriculum is not offered in his or her district. Each and every student should be challenged in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Would you switch from a private school to a public school just to get ACCESS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you every student should be able to participate in ACCESS. After doing this assignment, I talked with a high school student who makes straight A's. Her mom is single and there is not very many jobs to do around here. This would have been an excellent opportunity for her to knock about a year off of college, but it is not available.

    ReplyDelete