Saturday, October 10, 2009

Networking in the Classroom

Networking in the Classroom


I think the ideas of networking in the classroom is a very remarkable concept. Honestly, the idea of it now it intimidating for me so I couldn't imagine myself trying to learn in that environment in high school, much less middle school. It teaches students to be independent, and that is a task needed in order to succeed in college.

In the end where the teacher's role was mentioned, I enjoyed how it pointed out that teachers would still be needed even with networking starting to appear in the classroom. Students will still need guidance, and motivation with teachers being the driving force behind these things. Networking is a complicated process and only that will not come easy for a lot of students. To be honest, I think a lot of them will be too lazy to truly benefit from this. I think it will work in honors classes, but not non-honors classes. In both groups I feel like students will find this to be an extravagant work load, but the honors students will care about their grade in the end and suck it up anyways.

I'm not sure how I would be able to motivate my students to truly give this their all. If the students aren't motivated, I don't feel like networking would be of any benefit to them at all. Most students want to be spoon fed everything they need to know. They refuse to work in order to find the answers to things. This is a cycle that needs to be broken while they are young in order to get networking to work.

As I write this, I can feel my opinion starting to change. I said earlier I couldn't imaging using networking when I was in middle school, but that's just it. That would seem impossible in my experience. If students were forced to start utilizing networking at a younger age, maybe they wouldn't be quite so lazy and feel the need to be spoon fed their knowledge.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your last statement.Imagine what these children will be able to do once they get our age. It's mind-boggling to think about. Sometimes I feel intimidated by these elementary classrooms that are much more advanced than I was. I am excited to enter the classroom and see what new technologies the "Networked Student" will be using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right! Grade school students constantly have their mouths open to be "spoon fed" - think about how it was when we were in high school! I rarely had to study, and college was a BIG wake up call for me.

    Networking and technology in a classroom does seem kind of overwhelming when you think about everything as a "whole", but I agree with you, the cycle needs to be broken at a young age. I can only speak for myself in saying that I feel my transition to college would have been much easier had I not been spoon fed up to graduation.

    As a prospective teacher, I want to overcome the world of intimidation and jump in and teach students to dive in as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it is wise, at any age, to "spoo feed" students. The world does not work that way and they should be taught in the context of the real world.
    A second point: Think about Room 10. Those kids are highly motivated, and yet they are networked far more than any kids of that age that I know. I have a uess as to why. My belief is that they are being taught to use the tools of the 21st century: video, audio, telecommunications. Pencil, paper, printed books interfere with learning in a "listening/watching" culture. When will teachers and schools get it? I wish I knew!

    Very thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete