Thursday, September 10, 2009

Technological Illiteracy

Karl Fisch made an amazingly strong argument for encouraging teachers to become technologically literate. He compares being technologically incapable to being illiterate and it really struck a nerve to me as a reader. In a world where people are relying on computers more and more daily as a tool communication and accessing information, how can teachers willingly not keep up with the rest of society in their classrooms?

Advances are being made constantly and I wouldn't really be surprised if eventually students were being taught how to type in kindergarten instead of how to print letters. As teachers we must stay on top of the game and be more technologically aware than our students at all times. All throughout high school I constantly had teachers who were learning how to work a computer or even a DVD player from us students. When I become a teacher I want to be the one teaching my students things as basic as that not the other way around.

1 comment:

  1. But it is OK to learn from your students. I do that a lot! But we certainly should not rely on that as the only method of learning!

    ReplyDelete