Sunday, August 30, 2009

Podcasts

Sometimes it feels like technology is passing me by. I will have heard of pretty much every technological advancement, but sometimes it feels like it takes me a while to figure out how beneficial most of these things can actually be. After I finally jumped on the iPod bandwagon, I immediately figured out why iTunes was so useful. I especially liked it since I don't really like the idea of illegal downloading and iTunes was a source of downloading music legally and safely. However, I never quite understood the benefits of Podcasts until now.

There is so much information hidden within iTunes it astounds me. Podcasts not only provide information on technology and adancements in education, but they also provide information from the entertainment industry. Anyone and everyone would be able to find a Podcast that they would enjoy listening to or watching and more importantly it's free. I've come to realize that iTunes is not only a useful way to listen to music and put it on an iPod, but also to find information. Podcasts can be used as a good source for research in classes.

A cool thing about Podcasts is that they are easy to listen to. The people who make them love what they are talking about. It's photographers talking about photography and teacher talking about teachers. There aren't any lecturers. Only people talking about the things that they love. By having people talk about what they enjoy it makes listening to Podcasts enjoyable. Even if I happen to be listening to something I normally wouldn't, I still get something out of the Podcast because the person making it makes it interesting.

I think one of the main reasons I enjoyed the Podcasts is because it is so much like the radio. There is a snazzy introduction with fun music that really catches my attention. Then it just feels like I'm listening in on an interesting conversation like a morning radio show. I have always enjoyed listening to the radio as far as listening to music goes so it was an easy transition to listen to Podcasts.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, talking about the things they love. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your take on podcasts is interesting. I personally did not care for them and thought thy were boring and unorganized. I will go back and look at some of them and try to get out of them what you got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Emily, Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our student podcast, KPE. It means such a lot to our students to receive feedback like this on their work. Podcasting has had a major impact on our students reading scores and on other aspects of their lives. You could find out more about that by watching the viseo our kids made about what podcasting means to them
    http://kpetv.blogspot.com/2008/02/podcasting-with-kpe-in-2007.html
    Although this is a podcast and is primarily published on iTunes, we also post the episodes on the blog you visited to get feedback from their audience, as iTunes is not set up to make this easy.
    All the best in this course

    Dorothy
    Auckland, NZ

    ReplyDelete